onsdag 3. juli 2019

What I’ve learned in my first year as a PhD student in the EST-project



The summer holiday is about to start. That marks the end of my first year as a PhD-student in the EST project. During this year I have gotten to know the field of stuttering better through countless discussions in our group, writing, experiencing peer review, attending a symposium, and reading research. The research on treatment for preschool aged children who stutter is fast evolving. Just in the last year Millard, Zebrowski & Kelman (2018) Trajkovski, N., O'Brian, S., Onslow, M., Packman, A.,Lowe, R., Menzies, R., ... & Reilly, S. (2019) and Druker, Mazzucchelli & Beilby (2019) have added to the evidence. It is without doubt a truly interesting and exiting field to dig into.
However, being a PhD- student, I’ve discovered, also means classes to take, teaching to do and worries to have. I’ve spent this year trying to figure out how best to handle a #phdlife. Here are six things I’ve learned this year:

1) Planning is key!

The line “I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it” has never been true for me. With a lot to do at work, my short-term memory has definitely not approved. I use my calendar for all things I need to do, and I write “to do” lists on my phone, on stickers on my desk and in meetings. I’ve learned this keep me sane and helps me to worry less about things I need to remember.


To keep track of the longer run I keep a four-year plan that I often check in on and change accordingly. In addition I make a detailed plan for every week a couple of months ahead so that I can have a more simple plan to look at than my calendar to make sure I meet my small goals set for that time. This also helps me to see that I am actually getting things done! 

As for writing things down, I have also learned I should always write notes from meetings, classes as well as methodological reflections, references and thoughts I have for future papers. Along with other PhD-students at my department, I have tried writing every day. This has been a very interesting experience. Although I have not always succeeded, the post about ways to write more taught me that many activities are relevant in the writing process, not only writing on a blank page.

2) Imposter syndrome is real

Surely, I am not alone about feeling misplaced in academia at times. I’ve learned that worrying about being exposed as incompetent is not unusual. In fact, it has a name: Imposter syndrome. To manage the feeling in order to get things done, I have learned it is not always helpful to compare myself to others. Every PhD project is different, and every PhD student do things differently. Instead of worrying about my own process when hearing about what others manage, I try to be happy for them and notice when I am doing something right as well, which leads us to the next point:

3) No victory is too small to celebrate

Working long hours, and always having the feeling that I need to start on a new task, it is sometimes hard to slow down and notice that I am making progress. I’ve learned to notice and celebrate small milestone. That might be submitting a paper for a class, having that paper accepted, doing a presentation, or finishing a draft. Celebration might be finishing a little earlier, enjoying lunch outside or splurging on the good coffee. Paying attention to the small milestones along the way reminds me that I am in fact moving forward.

4) Teaching is fun!

Growing up with two teacher parents, I was determent never to become a teacher. So I became an SLP, started my PhD and found out I love to teach! 

Frankly- I have had a sneaky feeling I enjoyed it also prior to the PhD. Through my last job, I was able to teach at our department. Teaching student both in speech and language but also seminarian in special education motivates me and gives me a opportunity to look at the field from the outside. Also, meeting students and getting them excited about the world of stuttering is truly rewarding.

5) Doing a PhD is a learning experience

I often need to remind myself that the PhD position is not only a job, but also an education. I tell myself this when I have the feeling I know nothing on the first day of a lecture, or don’t understand anything of the first chapter of a new book. It takes some time to shake the feeling of being stupid. However, thinking about things that I didn’t know about when I first started a year ago really helps.  

6) It is a marathon, not a sprint!

I’ve learned that not all days are productive days. Some days I’ll only make it half way through my to do-list and feel like I am doing zero progress. Moreover, although days like that are unhelpful, I realize that my thesis does not break into a thousand pieces because of a day or two like that. Luckily!  Similarly, I have learned to take advantage of good days. To close the door to the office in order to not be disturbed when I feel like I’m in a good flow. Tick of all the boxes on the “to do” list, and perhaps, go back to point 3.


-Åse

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar