torsdag 14. januar 2021

Half way there- thoughts from a midway assessment

 

The PhD candidate in the EST project, Åse, marked being half way in her PhD this fall. In this blogpost she shares her thoughts from her midway assessment:

The midway assessment in a PhD is a milestone for a PhD candidate, although it is carried out differently across universities and departments. At the Faculty of Educational Sciences here at the University of Oslo, the mid way evaluation is a 90 minutes seminar, often held as part of a research seminars the PhDs candidates partake in. Participants are the candidate, opponent (a senior researcher within the research field), supervisor, coordinator of the organized research seminar and other PhD students.

I had my midway assessment in the end of September with professor Scott Yaruss as the opponent. The seminar begun with a presentation of my work. I talked about the three studies that will be included in my thesis, about the progress I have made, and about how I plan to work the next two years in order to finish the project on time. I also accounted for the courses I have taken and plan to take. Preparing for the seminar really felt like taking a step back and looking at my work from a distance. So much of working with the PhD feels like being on a high-speed rail, and it felt good to pause for a minute and get an overview of the road I have already traveled: The first study, a systematic review and meta- analyses, has been submitted, and the second study of my PhD is currently being drafted. I have finished all courses and the teaching proportion of the job. When did this even happen? It feels like I just started!



Also, preparing the presentation forced me to think ahead. Although I do have a progress plan and a time frame it is nice with a reason to reassess the plans, check in with deadlines and make changes accordingly. Two years is still a long way to go, but at least now, I know more about where I am going.  



The presentation was followed by a discussion about the work, between professor Yaruss and I. We discussed questions such as: what are the mechanisms leading to improvement in children`s stuttering? What are implications of the individuality of programs for treating stuttering in children? Discussing treatment for stuttering in preschool aged children, and the studies included in the EST project and my thesis especially, was very motivating. The discussion illuminated some parts of the projects that wasn’t clear for me, and presented me with many new insights. Thanks for the discussion, Scott!

-Åse 

4 kommentarer:

  1. Denne kommentaren har blitt fjernet av en bloggadministrator.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. I'm FRED and i want quickly recommend DR NCUBE for a Job well done by
      curing me from the diseases that have be giving me sleepless night. I was
      once diagnosed with herpes and hiv Virus due to unprotected sex. I was
      ashamed to tell anyone, So i silently go in search on how to get cured and
      i met this man DR Ncube and now i am completely cured. My mind is now at
      rest and i so much appreciate DR Ncube for His good work.
      if you want to contact him, Simply do that via email Drncube03@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2348155227532

      Slett
  2. Today I Welcome You To The Knowledge Of Illuminatì ∆Freemason∆ And I Grant You The Opportunity To BELONG to This Sacred Community, A COMMUNITY of SUPER MEN AND WOMEN. A place Of All Possibilities, This Kingdom We Do Not Fall To Plague, Sickness Or Disease Of Anykind nor Are We Subject To Pains Of Life Such As Poverty And All Kinds Of Not Good Situation In LIFE, Our First Priority As The New World Order Is To Eradicate Poverty From all NATIONS OF THE EARTH By Presenting Every New Member With Huge Amount Of CASH and Property And teaching them the Secret of LIFE and showing them the POWER THEREIN and helping them master it so Ye Can WIN in all Fields of LIFE and have dominion over health, wealth and every Thing You Ever Need. As you Already Know, This Brotherhood Consist oF the Most Powerful Men Of The Earth, To JOIN This Great Family(Cult(Spiritual Movement Contact 
    illuminatiinitiationtemplewa@gmail.com via Gmail
    +17608922577 ∆ILLUMINATEÌ OFFICIAL CALL AND TEXT LINE( worldwide)∆

    +2347052719658 ILLUMINATEÌ WHATSAPP LINE FOR ONLINE REGISTRATION WORLD WIDE.

    You're Advised To Make Up Your Mind Before Contacting, 

    SvarSlett